Re: powermac 9500 ethernet and 2.4 booting problems

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:32:04PM -0400, Andy Bastien wrote:
> Second question: I can't boot 2.4.anything.  I've tried both Debian's
> 2.4.18-powermac and several iterations built from the 2.4.19 source,
> and they all do the same thing.  I never get out of MacOS; after
> clicking on the "Linux" button in BootX (either app or extension), the
> hard drive runs for a few seconds, and the system locks up.  My
> favorite theory is that the Imagine 128 video card is at fault; can
> anyone verify or discount this?  I've tried all sorts of combinations
> of frame buffer settings, with and without "Force video settings" and
> "No video driver" in BootX.  Other than the two ethernet cards that
> I've mentioned there is nothing but the onboard SCSI and ethernet in
> the system (and both of those seem to work well enough).

I tried with my 9500. The video card is an ATI Mach64 GX, but I get
similar results. With linux.bin from the new-powermac folder, which is
kernel-image-2.4.18-newpmac, it doesn't boot. With the linux.bin from
the powermac folder (2.2.20), it does. With kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc,
it boots but the video isn't driven; I can ssh in but the blackened
MacOS startup logo is still displayed on the tube (using the BootX
extension at startup).  I don't see any video errors in the dmesg log,
though.

The kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc also does not have hfs compiled in.

Neither kernel-image-2.4.16-newpmac nor kernel-image-2.4.19-powerpc
would boot.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |