Re: Repartitioning my Harddisk with mac-fdisk for Jaguar (MacOS 10.2)

> I have upgraded my OS X to Jaguar and now I have not enough space for
> additional software in the application folder. But there is a old MacOS 9
> partition I doesn't use anymore. And now I ask myself, if  I can use
> mac-fdisk to rearrange my current MacOS X partition and my old MacOS 9 to a
> single Mac OS X partition, in a way that my current Woody partition isn't
> affected.

If the OS X and OS 9 partitions are right next to each other you can
delete both and create a new one in its place. You will lose the contents
of both partitions, of course (mac-fdisk is a partition table editor and
does nothing to tweak the filesystems themselves).

If either of the two partitions is larger than the Linux partition (and
the Linux partition lies in between the two), you could get away with
creating a partition identical in size to the Linux partition in the
larger one (at the start of the first, or the end of the second, duh).
Then copy the raw partition data using dd, boot from the new
partition, delete the old one and join it with the remaining space from
the MacOS partitions. Again, you lose the MacOS partition data. Use tar if
you want to resize the Linux partition in the process.

More complex schemes may be devised to move several intervening partitions
out of the way. mac-fdisk is only part of the solution, you'll need other
tools as well in any case. Might be worth trying parted if it supports
moving entire patitions.
Resizing existing partitions invalidates them, and some non-Linux
partitions might not function after relocating. Did I mention the need for
backups of all your data yet?

	Michael