Re: XFBdev resolution platinum 7200/90

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:54:45PM -0400, cesagbo@b2b2c.ca wrote:
> Quoting Michel Lanners <mlan@cpu.lu>:
>
> > On  11 Sep, this message from cesagbo@b2b2c.ca echoed through
> > cyberspace:

> > >         I succeeded to use X at 800x600,  but i need to start another
> > framebuffer application and interrupt it before i start X.
> > >

> > > ex:            localhost>su -c "fbzen" ; nice -n 10 startx ; exit
> > >                 <ctrl-c> while fbzen is running
> > >
> > >       In this condition X use 800x600 r?solution.  I understand that
> > the 800 x600 mode need to be initialised before, or else it goes
> > 640x480.  How can i pr?-initialize the monitor mode so i can start X
> > directly.  When i use: fbset 800x600-60 the framebuffer comply but X
> > doesn`t care unless i use the "trick".
> >
> > Hmm, have you tried 'fbset -a <mode>' like I suggested? Do you have a
> > Mac<->VGA adapter? Old Macs don't do DDC (like modern i386 grafic
> > cards), but rather have three pins on the DB15 Mac monitor connector,
> > and the monitor indicates its type (and hence its capabilities) by
> > some
> >
>   Sorry  for the line breaks, i use opera and IMP under win2000 at work.
>   I`ve got no control on this one.
>
>   What the -a switch mean in fbset -a <mode>.  It doesn`t appear in the manual.
>
>   What is DDC?
>
>   Why do the monitor isn`t probed when i used the trick with fbzen and <ctrl-c>?
>
>   I use bootX and i need a driver, for mac os 9.1, to use the mach64 or else it doesn`t boot, when the card is in the slot no.:1.  Now it is in the slot.:2 and i can use the computer.  I`ll be downloading a new kernel soon to use the atyfb.
>
>   I tought that an old world ppc could not use a new world kernel!

Well kernels are not segmented by old and new world. What you're
thinking about are the installer flavors, powermac and new-powermac,
which contain the 2 kernels 2.2.20 and 2.4.18. To install the
new-powermac version on an OldWorld, you are limited to using BootX to
install; the kernel doesn't fit on a floppy and CDs are not
bootable. However you can install the new-powermac flavor using BootX,
or you could also switch to the 2.4.18 kernel after you finish the
powermac flavor install. The kernel works fine on the hardware.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |