Re: XFBdev resolution platinum 7200/90

On  11 Sep, this message from cesagbo@b2b2c.ca echoed through cyberspace:
> Quoting Michel Lanners <mlan@cpu.lu>:
>
>> On   8 Sep, this message from cesagbo@b2b2c.ca echoed through
>> cyberspace:
>> >
>> > Yes i can:
>> [snip]
>> > (II) FBDev(0): using default device
>> > (II) Running in FRAMEBUFFER Mode
>> > (**) FBDev(0): Depth 8, (--) framebuffer bpp 8
>> > (==) FBDev(0): Default visual is PseudoColor
>> > (==) FBDev(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
>> > (II) FBDev(0): Hardware: platinum (vidmem: 1024k)
>> > (II) FBDev(0): Checking Modes against framebuffer device...
>> > (II) FBDev(0): mode "800x600" ok
>>
>> OK, good... so it sees 800x600 somewhere.
>>
>> > (II) FBDev(0): Checking Modes against monitor...
>> > (--) FBDev(0): Virtual size is 640x480 (pitch 640)
>>
>> ... but why is it going back to 640x480 now?
>
>         I succeeded to use X at 800x600,  but i need to start another framebuffer application and interrupt it before i start X.
>

> ex:            localhost>su -c "fbzen" ; nice -n 10 startx ; exit
>                 <ctrl-c> while fbzen is running
>
>       In this condition X use 800x600 résolution.  I understand that the 800 x600 mode need to be initialised before, or else it goes 640x480.  How can i pré-initialize the monitor mode so i can start X directly.  When i use: fbset 800x600-60 the framebuffer comply but X doesn`t care unless i use the "trick".

Hmm, have you tried 'fbset -a <mode>' like I suggested? Do you have a
Mac<->VGA adapter? Old Macs don't do DDC (like modern i386 grafic
cards), but rather have three pins on the DB15 Mac monitor connector,
and the monitor indicates its type (and hence its capabilities) by some
clever interconnection between these three pins and ground. That's the
'Monitor sense value' you see in the dmesg log.

Now, it would seem your adaptor identifies itself as a 14" monitor
(fixed frequency), and not as a multisync monitor. That's where your
problem starts...

>      Is there a trick to compile a kernel 2.2.20 on a ppc? (atyfb)

2.2.20? That's ancient stuff for PPC... I'd suggest trying a 2.4 kernel;
they're a lot better on PPC. Faster, more hardware support, more bug
fixing. 2.4.18 straight from kernel.org seems to be a valid choice.

>  I use:
>  localhost>su -c "make dep ; make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install"
>
>   After compilation time, i can`t find the bzImage in the /usr/src/linux/... or the System.map.

Ah, make bzImage doesn't do the right thing on powerpc most of the time.
It's only used on a few specific PPC platforms; avoid it. Anyway, most
(all?) ways to boot a PPC kernel on a Mac assume an uncompressed kernel.

Also, I would suggest to compile the kernel as a normal user, and only
install it later as root. Which gives:

localhost:/usr/src/linux> make dep clean vmlinux && make modules
localhost:/usr/src/linux> su
localhost:/usr/src/linux# make modules_install
localhost:/usr/src/linux# cp vmlinux /boot/<whatever>
localhost:/usr/src/linux# cp System.map /boot/<whatever>

All of this is, anyway, the manual way to install kernels. In Debian,
you don't _have_ to do it this way. You can install precompiled kernels
(2.4.18-newpowermac comes to mind..), or you can use make-kpkg to
compile a .deb from your own kernel sources.

Cheers

Michel

PS By the way, your mailer still doesn't do sane line breaks...

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |