Re: wireless configuration problem

At 3:38 PM +0100 9/12/02, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
I wrote yesterday about my wireless configuration problem. No responses
- perhaps I was unclear.

iwconfig gives me (amongst other things)

Is this a clear sign that my network password is incorrect? I'm using:
    up iwconfig eth1 enc s:password

I believe you mentioned you were trying to connect to an airport base station? Apple uses a different algorithm for turning password strings into encryption keys than everybody else does, so you cannot use the the "s:password" syntax. You have to get the WEP key for the base station, which is a hexidecimal screen. I actually hooked by tibook running linux up to a friend airport this weekend, and I can't remember the exact procedure, but somewhere in the base station control software was a menu (something like "network equivalent password" or something like that shows you the WEP key that the base station has produced from your password. Then you can use that in your iwconfig, ie iwconfig eth1 enc "vvwwxxyyzz"

            Wilhelm Fitzpatrick  |  When we speak of free
         http://www.3roses.com/  |  software we are referring
                rafial@well.com  |  to freedom not price.