Re: Booting mol from a file (was: Re: reinstalling MacOS without wiping a Debian setup (partition, boot))

Thanks everyone!  MOL for OS9 (and OSX) solved the problem (which was
caused because someone here bought me the OS9 version of MS Office instead of
OSX, after I'd converted my iBook to Debian/OSX dual boot).  What I
wanted to do was to reinstall Classic or OS9 back on, but didn't want
to muck with my Debian partition (it's where I work, not that I can't
get it back, but careful is careful).

My hint for everyone -- assuming that /opt/macos9 (as Jesus named it)
is an hfs file, it looks like the best way to transfer files, if
networking isn't working, is to use the hfs tools (I used xhfs)
between Linux and the _file_.  It worked, I was amazed, and I got to
edit the silly file that I needed to work on (OpenOffice only goes so
far, especially with figures and tables getting occasionally
redesigned).  Note that I shut down MOL during the file transfer; I'll
have to try it running and report back.

I haven't experimented with file transfer over to macosX file system
(which is an actual partition) running live; I've used the HFS+ utils
(hfspcopy, I think, but the name escapes me right now) when MOL isn't
running, under Linux, for the transfer.

Thanks everyone -- looks like I'll not have to worry about it any
more.

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini@u.washington.edu