more on ibook2 internal modem

Would one of the people who got the ibook2 modem working care to tke the
time to write a short HOWTO?

I'm in a vicious circle cos I don't want to switch to Linux until the
modem is working (a Linux box that can't get onto the net is kinda silly,
no?) but on the other hand it seems I need net access to get the newest
kernel, etc. that I need to get it working. I could download it on OS X
but of course can't directly do rsync and stuff from there ... :-(

I tried the listmodem script and that didn't find any modems. Does that
mean I have one of the hardware modems after all? It's a 500MHz iBook
made (according to OF) in September 2001.