Re: Sleeping weirdness (was Re: ibook 2 : several question)

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 07:52:31PM -0400, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
> On lun, 2002-09-02 at 14:53, David M. Cooke wrote:
> >
> > I had similiar problems, but it's working now. I had to disable IDE
> > CDROM support, and compile SCSI emulation in.
>
> Indeed, this configuration works. Compiling both as modules also works.
>

> > Since several people seem to have problems, I've put the deb for my
> > kernel (2.4.20-pre5-ben0), along with the kernel config file and a deb
> > for daenzer's drm-trunk-module at
> >
> > http://arbutus.physics.mcmaster.ca/cookedm/ibook/
> >
> > Currently, CDROM support with SCSI emulation, sleeping/waking up, and
> > sound work. I haven't tested the CD-RW, but cdrecord -scanbus works.
> >

> I've tried your kernel and with it sleeping now works... most of the
> time. Once, it didn't wake up and another time it woke up and locked up
> after.

Actually, that happened to me tonight -- closed the lid, looked like it
went to sleep, then, later, turns out it was on and drained the battery.
[Might have been me -- I was using it as a pillow, probably not the best
of ideas]

But, for previous kernels, sleeping would either not work at all, or it
would work fine.

> Something even weirder is that I can't compile a kernel where sleeping
> works. I've compiled a kernel using exactly you configuration file
> (using the 2.4.20-pre5-benh0 rsync source) and kernel-package but it
> never works.

Except that BenH is continually working on his source, so your source is
not necessarily my source...    [I believe]

I'll put up a source package (which I /think/ is the same as what I used)
tomorrow, when I get into work.

> I noticed that you compiled your kernel using gcc 3.2 pre-release so I
> thought it might be the problem. I've compiled the kernel (always using
> your configuration and doing a make-kpkg clean between run) using gcc
> 2.95, gcc 3.0 and gcc 3.2 and sleeping never works on the produced
> kernel.

With 2.4.18-something, I noticed that using 2.95 made a difference (it
worked as opposed to not), but doesn't seem to now.

> A thing that I noticed is that the iBook doesn't seems to sleep
> correctly on the failing kernels: the light on the front side of the
> iBook doesn't do it's usual sleeping heart beat. It does with the kernel
> you compiled.

I think when the heart beat doesn't go the iBook is actually off.

> I'm including here the packages related to my build environment and also
> a diff of the dmesg between your kernel and the last one I've compiled
> using 3.2.
>
> How is your build environment different than mine? Any insights in this
> matter are welcome.

Your build environment looks the same as mine.