Re: PowerPC kernel repository (was: Woody on IBM RS/6000 7025 F50)

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 09:23:51AM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:

> > On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:06:56PM +0300, George Karaolides wrote:
> > >
> > > Further to my previous post about the serial port slowing down during
> > > booting, here are the interrupts.  It took an hour and a half to get to
> > > shell...
> > >
> > > It doesn't look like there's anything amiss.  Anyone have any other
> ideas?
> >
> > Is it possible your terminal is set to a different rate than the kernel
> > is communicating on? On Macs, the OF rate is 38400, but when I would
> > pass 9600 to the kernel in the boot argument without changing the rate
> > on the terminal, I would get something like that.
> >
> > --
> > *------v--------- Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 --------v------*
> > |      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
> > |        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
> > |            Chris Tillman        tillman@voicetrak.com          |
> > |                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |
> kernels of different origin. It appears to me that we would benefit from
> having a kernel repository with pre-compiled kernels. I know how to compile
> a kernel; however, I prefer to use pre-compiled kernels that have been
> built by people that fully understand the requirements for which source
> tree to choose, patches to apply, compiler versions to use, etc. This way
> we are all working with a common set of kernels.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable request?
>
> If so, could someone create the following URL:
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/disks-powerpc/current/
> with the following sub-directories:
> prep
> chrp
> power3
> ppc64
>
> Then add the following to each sub-directory:
> vmlinux-2.4.xx
> zImage-2.4.xx
> config file
>

> Rolf
>
> --
> Rolf Brudeseth
> rolfb@us.ibm.com
> pSeries System Engineering & Integration, IBM Enterprise Systems Group
> Austin, TX

There was no response to this request on the debian-powerpc list, I
guess it really belongs to debian-boot (cc'd).

Since the consensus is that the current prep and chrp kernels which
we supply as part of boot-floppies are badly broken and unusable,
would something like this be considered for a stable point release?