Re: using apt to install system to another partition

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 03:49:41PM -0400, Fred Heitkamp wrote:

> I want to make a backup debian installation on another disk or partition.
>
> Is it possible to use apt or dpkg from a running system to install a
> completely independent debian install on this other disk?  I do not
> want the installing system to be affected in any way.
>
> It looks like the dpkg --root=<some other disk partition> might work.
>
> Using apt would probably be more convienient though I didn't see
> a "--root" option in the man page.

Steps were recently added in the install manual which would work for this
using debootstrap. See

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html/#s-linux-upgrade

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |