using apt to install system to another partition

I want to make a backup debian installation on another disk or partition.

Is it possible to use apt or dpkg from a running system to install a
completely independent debian install on this other disk?  I do not
want the installing system to be affected in any way.

It looks like the dpkg --root=<some other disk partition> might work.

Using apt would probably be more convienient though I didn't see
a "--root" option in the man page.

Fred