Re: 2.4.19 -- no sound

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:58:00PM -0400, Michael Hope wrote:

> >     rogério> On Aug 28 2002, Paul Talacko wrote:
> >     >> As I posted in a previous thread, I've upgraded to 2.4.19 which has
> >     >> got my RTL8029 working, but now I have no sound.
> >
> >     rogério> 	Are you using the kernel from benh's tree or are you using a
> >     rogério> 	stock kernel? You can get benh's kernel via rsync from
> >     rogério> 	rsync.penguinppc.org.
> >
> > I'm seeing something similar; I can get beeps and such, but no "real"
> > audio (i.e. using arts or esd for mp3s in their respective user
> > environments).
> >
> > This was using benh's 2.4.19 (final) tree...
> >
> > (on the other hand, I've completely solved my X and "sleep" problems,
> > thanks to the list).
>
> I'm seeing the same on my iBook Firewire with 2.4.19-benh0 under Debian
> 3.0/KDE3.0.  The console beeps work fine but xmms and mpg123 report that
> they can't open the dsp.  The permissions are fine, it works if I revert
> to 2.4.18-pre, the node in /dev exists, and being root doesn't help.
> Perhaps it is something to do with devfsd?  I thought in previous versions
> the dsp appeared on /dev/sound/dsp/0 but now it appears on /dev/sound/dsp.

Arts might have open the /dev/dsp.

There is an option under kde menu to activate/deactivate the arts
locking of the device, thus allowing you to play using other audio
processors.

keep in mind that if you force a bip in Konsole while listening using
esd/direct access, the beep will restart arts and thus will stop the
playing of the esd/other stream.

You might want to use the xmms-(something_here) which clears the gap
between songs and produces a continuous output, thus not releasing the
dsp device at any time.

Jesus Climent | Unix System Admin | Helsinki, Finland.
http://www.HispaLinux.es/~data/  |  data.pandacrew.org
Please, encrypt mail address to me: GnuPG ID: 86946D69
FP: BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69
Registered Linux user #66350 Debian 3.0 & Linux 2.4.19

I've decided what to do with my life. I wanna be a cleaner.
		--Mathilda (Leon, the Cleaner)