Re: working files for Woody install to an Old World ?

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 03:30:43PM -0700, vinai wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> My old 8500 has been creaking along with an extremely old linux install,
> and I thought it was time to take the plunge and upgrade to Debian 3.0
>
> I currently have system 7.5 on my upgraded 8500 (now has a Sonnet G3, 2
> hard drive and 1G RAM) and have no issues keeping classic around to boot
> linux.  I look at the manual at:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-boot-drive-files
>
> section 4.4.1.  So I grabbed the ramdisk.gz (I already had a working
> kernel/BootX combo and besides, the "linux.bin" from the Debian site
> did not seem to work) and tried to run the installer that way.  The
> installer said it was put together by Adam Di Carlo and was dated May
> 16, 2002.  Right at the point where the it was going to partition the
> hard disk, the installer would appear to freeze.  Even when I re-tried
> (to skip that stage) it would still lock up.
>
> Am I missing something obvious, or are the installer files from the
> debian site broken in some way?  And if so, where can I get a working
> ramdisk that would let me do the hard disk install ?  If possible -
> is there one that would allow me to partition my drives using XFS ?

I just used them for a 9500, so I don't think they're broken. Does it
freeze in the menu, after selecting the Partition menu item, after
displaying the quik warning box, or after starting fdisk?

Can you even switch to console 3 to see if there are any error
messages?  It might help to add the debug boot argument to get more
messages.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |