Re: DRI on r128 iMac using 2.4.18 woody?

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 23:39, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 06:03, Joss Winn wrote:
> >

> >>I've had DRI working fine with SUSE on my iMac so I know it works
> >>but the same XFconfig doesn't work on my new install of Woody.
> >>
> >>I've been looking for the kernel module r128 but can't see them unless
> >>they are these:
> >>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r128_dri.so
> >>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o
> >>

> >No, it's /lib/modules/<version>/kernel/drivers/char/drm/r128.o . If you
> >don't want to build your own kernel with it enabled, you can try
> >kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc-xfs which seems to provide it.
> >

> Cool!  Got that kernel and r128 loaded fine when X started on my G4 cube
> (but wish I had known to modprobe gmac for the network to work, that
> took a little while to figure out :-).
>
> Unfortunately, when a GL window opened, the display hung and I had to
> remotely kill the process that tried to open it. :-(
>
> Could there be a device with the wrong permissions?  I notice
> /dev/dri/card0 is root.root 666, the same for my working Voodoo3 Intel
> boxes...

So it's not a permissions problem (and even if it was, you wouldn't get
hangs because it'd use software rendering).

Using or not using agpgart (whichever you aren't doing now :) may help.

You could also try

deb	http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/debian/dri-trunk/	./

for bleeding edge DRI.