Re: New - Newbie apt-get question

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 09:42:32AM -0700, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> O.K. so I'm trying to keep this thread alive :-).
>
> When I run apt-get install kde, I keep getting messages that it fails to
> pull down some files and then it says:
>
> E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
> --fix-missing?
>
> I have run apt-get update and it changes nothing.  I have looked through the
> man pages for apt-get and can find no reference to --fix-missing?  Any
> clues??

I had trouble with that for a while (different packages, but same
errors), and the solution was to switch to a different mirror.  I
think sometimes files get missed as mirrors update - so your "apt-get
update" has newer packages listed than are actually present on the
server.

I've not seen it last for more than a few days at a time.

Is there any place one can find a sort of "debian tips and tricks"
list?  I've used Debian for years and never knew about goodness like
"apt-cache search" until I started reading this list.  Has someone
compiled a list of those really useful things that set Debian apart?

Erik