Re: Fwd: Re: Fw: Woody install docs and Nubus

At 7:15 am -0700 19/7/02, Chris Tillman wrote:
On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 02:33:24PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
 At 2:59 pm +0200 19/7/02, Michel D?nzer wrote:

 >> >fbdev,
 >> Many thanks
 >>
 >> >I assume you're running some sort of framebuffer device in
 >> >console.
 >> Excuse my ignorance, I don't know, but I didn't change any default
 >> settings relating to "framebuffer device in console"
 >>
 >> In the window after selecting the Video Card, I need to specify its'
 >> Bus ID.  It explains how to use lpsci to determine the information in
 >> hexadecimal not decimal ( I'll cross that bridge when I come to it
 >> ;-)).  Do I go to  /etc/X11/XF86Config-4  after installation to set
 >> this?
 >
 >Just try without specifying anything there first, if necessary run
 >
 >dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
 >
 >later to make modifications.
 Great. Thanks.

 I've hit another minor glitch ;-) I selected "macintosh", "uk"
 keyboard and accepted all the defaults (standard not USB) - should it
 be "macintosh_old"? because install has asked me to confirm that
 /etc/CORBA/server/GnomeICU.gnorba should be overwritten.  Pressing Y
 gave q and backspace returned , (several times ;-))

 Also I'm now in a quandary - do I break install and start again
 because I can't move forward?

 Thanks for your patience and persistence ;-)

Here's what happened:

http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes

If you boot with keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1, you should be able to
resurrect your install. To try to shut it down gracefully, refer to the
web page.
Ooops - so much for planning ahead ;-)

In the web page it refers to adding keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1 in quik.conf or yaboot.conf neither of which I use. Do I put this in the lilo.conf (MacOS) file after rootdev=?

Also I'm still stuck in the install so can't issue shutdown or edit anything (gracefully or otherwise)?

TIA

--

Clive Menzies & Associates Limited
strategies for business