Re: Fwd: Re: Fw: Woody install docs and Nubus

At 1:51 pm +0200 19/7/02, Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 13:05, Clive Menzies wrote:
 >I tried to install potato on a Mac 8100/80 (Nubus) earlier this year
 >but failed get floppy access, ppp or X working.
 >
 >I've just installed ADSL on an ethernet network here which gave me
 >the ability to apt-get from the net.  I've reinstalled potato
 >(booting from the DebianMkLinux Mach_kernel), upgraded to woody
 >using apt-get and dselect with some guidance from:
 >
 >http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200202/msg01868.html
 >
 >http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/powerpc/release-notes/ch-upgrading

 Starting X gives:

 Fatal server error
 no screens found

 Searching the lists and web revealed no solution and so I've repeated
 the potato install and woody upgrade paying special attention to any
 X server issues.

 The video card drivers listed in the Dialog Box Configuring
 Xserver-xfree86 doesn't include the nubus HPV display card V1.0a2 in
 my machine.  Is there a generic alternative?

fbdev,
Many thanks

I assume you're running some sort of framebuffer device in
console.
Excuse my ignorance, I don't know, but I didn't change any default
settings relating to "framebuffer device in console"

In the window after selecting the Video Card, I need to specify its'
Bus ID.  It explains how to use lpsci to determine the information in
hexadecimal not decimal ( I'll cross that bridge when I come to it
;-)).  Do I go to  /etc/X11/XF86Config-4  after installation to set
this?

Thanks

--

Clive Menzies & Associates Limited