netatalk does not see a printer

Hi.

I have a potato on a laptop with a pcmcia ethernet card, and I am trying to connect it to an Apple LaserWriter 4/600 PS, which has a LocalTalk connector. I also have an Asantetalk adapter which bridges (or should bridge) between ethernet and localtalk.

I have a kernel with appletalk as a loadable module, and have installed netatalk. When I start netatalk using the script (after loading appletalk.o), it does not complain.  Nevertheless the getzones command does not work:

root:/etc/init.d# getzones
atp_rresp: Connection timed out

With  nbplkup I get the following:

root:/etc/init.d# nbplkup
                        caspar:AFPServer                          65280.226:128                        caspar:netatalk                           65280.226:4
                        caspar:Workstation                        65280.226:4

With ifconfig I get:

root:/home/ghigi# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:04:DF:B4:BF
          EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:65280/226
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x200

I don't find any hint to solve this problem in the Netatalk-HOWTO. If you happen to know of any better documentation, I would be extremely grateful if you could point it to me.

****** PLEASE CC: ME *******  because I am not on the list.

Thank you very much

Alessandro