woody bootfroppies, mac 7200/90, quik problem

i try to install woody on the given powermac with the latest
bootfloppies. I chose the powermac flavor, and that kernel boots
nicely and works, if booted from floppy.

the baseinstalls fails with a debootstap error, so i chroot into
/target and continue the install from there, on the commandline
with dpkg and apt. looks fine so far.

i do not manage to make the system bootable from harddisk,
however. i try to use quik like this:
/target/sbin/quik -r /target -C /target/etc/quik.conf -v

and the output seems fine to me.

i tried to install both the kernel-image-2.4.18-pmacnew and
-powerpc. but normally the system does not even try to boot the
kernel, as far as i can tell. i guess this is a quik issue.

Here is my quik.conf
## This file generated during installation.
## Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC

init-message="Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (woody)"
default=Linux
timeout=100
root=/dev/sda4
partition=4

## Do not point image= to a symlink, quik can't follow symlinks
image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.18-newpmac
        label=Linux
        read-only
        append="adb_buttons=103,111 video=ofonly"

 mac-fdisk -l
/dev/sda
        #                    type name                length   base    ( size )  system
/dev/sda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                   63 @ 1       ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/sda2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap             1600 @ 64      (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/sda3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                262144 @ 1664    (128.0M)  Linux swap
/dev/sda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root               1854336 @ 263808  (905.4M)  Linux native

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=2118144
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

my guess is that the firmware is not playing along. what do i need
to do to get this booting from harddisk?