Re: Voodoo3 2000 problems in Woody

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 05:21:01PM -0700, Shawn Dunn wrote:

> No i386 machines around, cept for a laptop, and this card is
rocksolid in MacOS using the beta14(?  I think drivers), and running
as a simple fbdev device, it's just the accelerated X-server that
seems to give it fits.....  I *think* the 3dfx MacOS drivers make
for hardware acceleration, but I admit I am somewhat ignorant in
that respect

You might want to wrap those line.  =)

I'm using a Voodoo3 in an Old World PowerMac4400-clone.

Using a 2.4 kernel and XF4.0 or higher accelerated X works. DRI does not
work, though. Console driver in the 2.4 kernel does work, but you can't
read anything due to wrong edian-ness. Once you get X started,
everything is fine.

So you can use 2.2 kernel with XF3.3 and have console but no accelerated
X, or use a 2.4 kernel with XF4 and have no console but with accelerated
X.

Getting your Voodoo2 to work with XF4 should be pretty easy as the XF4.1
setup pretty much autodetected the card, if I remember right.

Anthony