Re: Looking for a config-2.4.18 for an iMac

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 12:34:45AM +0200, Roland Wegmann wrote:
> On Sunday 30 June 2002 17:19, Tom Rini wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 07:10:56PM +0200, Roland Wegmann wrote:
> > > Has anyone compiled an optimized kernel-image  (version 2.4.18) for an
> > > iMac 500MHz (early 2001)? If so, could you send me your config file as an
> > > attachment? I would be happy if I had an example!!
> >
> > Why do you want to compile an 'optimized' kernel-image?  Are you
> > desperate for a few more k of RAM?
> >
> > Unless there's some missing driver in the provided kernel image, you
> > won't gain much by compiling your own custom kernel.
>
> First, I will learn how it is to build a kernel-image by myself !!

Then read the man page for make-kpkg and read the help entries for all
of the config options.  They're about 95% documented now (overall) and
google should help with the ones that aren't.

> Second, I
> am trying to install the "alsa sound system". Because of that, I found a hint
> that I have to install the kernel-source-2.x.x package and then compile alsa
> modules, modify the moduls.conf ...

That's another question.  Just in general my understanding right now is
that some userland apps in debian don't work properly with alsa0.9
(which is what you'd want) and this may or may not get fixed soon.  Is
there some alsa-specific app you're wanting to run or are you expecting
the sound driver/quality of output to be better than the default one?

> So, I read the manpage about make-kpkg (difficult to understand) and some
> other manuals and found out that first of all I have to use make config (or
> menuconfig or xconfig).
>
> I agree the official kernel (2.4.18 newpmac) works well, but I have no sound
> yet and dmasound won't work.

dmasound doesn't work on an old'ish iMac?  That's probably something
that should be looked into (perhaps try 2.4.19-rc1, the config from
2.4.18-newpmac with dmasound enabled).

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/