Re: Looking for a config-2.4.18 for an iMac

On Sunday 30 June 2002 17:19, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 07:10:56PM +0200, Roland Wegmann wrote:
> > Has anyone compiled an optimized kernel-image  (version 2.4.18) for an
> > iMac 500MHz (early 2001)? If so, could you send me your config file as an
> > attachment? I would be happy if I had an example!!
>
> Why do you want to compile an 'optimized' kernel-image?  Are you
> desperate for a few more k of RAM?
>
> Unless there's some missing driver in the provided kernel image, you
> won't gain much by compiling your own custom kernel.

First, I will learn how it is to build a kernel-image by myself !! Second, I
am trying to install the "alsa sound system". Because of that, I found a hint
that I have to install the kernel-source-2.x.x package and then compile alsa
modules, modify the moduls.conf ...

So, I read the manpage about make-kpkg (difficult to understand) and some
other manuals and found out that first of all I have to use make config (or
menuconfig or xconfig).

I agree the official kernel (2.4.18 newpmac) works well, but I have no sound
yet and dmasound won't work.

So, it will be great if you or somebody else give me some help.

Kind regards

Roland Wegmann
rowe_gnu@gmx.net