Re: Sound on a PowerBook G3 Firewire

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 09:50:12AM +0900, marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp wrote:
>    Brian> I have never gotten the built-in mic or the built-in line
>    Brian> input to be useful under linux on my Powerbook G3.  I did
>    Brian> pick up a Griffin iMic (USB mic input), and have found some
>    Brian> success with it.  It's been a couple of months since I used
>    Brian> it, but I recall needing to explicitly specify a recording
>    Brian> speed; otherwise, I got clicks in the audio.
>Do you have the details on how you managed to get it working?  I have
>a Logitech (Phillips) webcam with the built in mic, and would like to
>get that working, if possible.

Keep in mind that it's been a little while since I did it, but here's
what I remember.

Step 1: make sure that USB audio is available to the kernel, probably as
a module.  (I'm assuming your webcam is USB.  I'm also assuming it
registers itself as an audio device, which may be completely wrong.)

Step 2: check your audio mixer of choice (I use gmix) to see if your
audio device is being recognized.  gmix displayed a new tab for me,
something like "USB Audio Class Device".

Step 3: Use the following command:
  rec -d /dev/dsp1 -r 44100 myrecording.wav

/dev/dsp1 is the second audio device (after builtin, /dev/dsp).

44100 is, IIRC, CD-quality sound, and also (I think) the max supported
by the iMic.

I would presume that a more comprehensive audio recording program would
also find success with those bitrate and device settings.  You may have
to play around with the bitrate to get something acceptable.

Also, note that I was using OSS.  I haven't managed to get ALSA to do
much for me.

--
Brian

                                            "We are each of us angels with