Re: X won't start

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 01:58:16PM -0600, Marc Stergionis wrote:
> Sometime around 8:49 PM +0200 on 6/13/02, Håvard Skinnemoen wrote thus:
> > > debian stable main contrib non-free
> >> debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
> >> stable/updates main contrib non-free
> >
> >Ah..."stable" is currently an alias of "potato", so that's the word you
> >should replace with "woody". Rumours say that it's not long time until
> >"stable" will be pointing to "woody".
> >
> >> BTW, the CDs I installed from are 2.2r0 20000814
> >>
> >> I assume the first and third of those now-commented entries are what
> >> I want to uncomment, and maybe then *comment* the CD entries?
> >
> >That's right. The second one, too, if you want crypto software.

Whops...I'm sorry. You're from the US, aren't you? If so, non-US won't
be available, AFAIK. I have no idea about the availability of crypto
software in the US, but I'm sure someone else knows. It's somewhat
off-topic for this list, though.

> Cool. Been doing
>
> apt-get update
>
> it keeps telling me
>
> lgn http://http.us.debian.org woody/main Release
>
> then I get a while of a small percentage of
>
> [Connecting to http.us.debian.org]
>
> the percentage has never seemed to go over 17%
>
> and then I get
>
> Failed to fetch ...
> 302 Moved Temporarily
>
> Failed to fetch ...
> 0 Moved Temporarily

I don't think I've ever experienced that. I guess it _could_ be related
to the non-US issue, though, so you should try commenting out that
second line again.

> a few
>
> W couldn't stat source package list (with long url)
>
> and then
>
> W You may want to run apt-get update to correct these missing files
> E. Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored or old
> ones used instead.
>
> So of course apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't upgrade anything ... and
> apt-get update just repeats its loop.
>
> Is this usual ... just keep trying?

No, that's not usual. If commenting out the non-US line doesn't work,
please either provide some of the offending URLs or the relevant lines
of sources.list.

Håvard