Re: Booting GNU/Linux...

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 01:30:46PM -0300, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:

> >>Ewww. The gods are frowning.
> >>
> >>If you can get into OpenFirmware, you can use commands like devalias and
> >>ls / dev
> >>to figure out what the your hard disk device name is.
> >>
> >>The problem is, on the first versions of OpenFirmware, there was no driver
> >>for video available. I'm afraid this may apply to you. You can get into
> >>OpenFirmware, but you may need another machine hooked up with a serial
> >>cable
> >>to see what it is saying.
> >>
> >>I did search in the list archives and found a link which contained an OF
> >>path.
> >>The thing is, it wasn't woorking for that guy. but this may be worth a try
> >>anyway, before seeing if you can break into OF:
> >>
> >>nvsetenv boot-device ata/ATA-Disk@0:0
> >>
> >>To try getting into OF, hold Cmd-Opt-O-F at power on.
> >>
> >I too am on a 6360, and I assure you, cmd-opt-o-f will NOT get you into
> >open firmware, you need to run a system tool (who's name eludes me at the
> >moment, but I know it's on the NetBSD/ppc and Woody/PPC minimal install
> >cd), I seem to recall it being able to output to video after changing a
> >couple of settings, if not, plug a serial cable in, and run it to another
> >mac and use an app such as Ztermto have a peek remotely(I use bootX for a
> >bootloader, so I have NO experience with Quik)
> >

> >			--Shawn
> >
> I'm still a little confused, because I'm new to the Mac world.
>
> Shawn is right, with Cmd-Opt-O-F Performa 6360 not get you into OF.
>
> If I use BootX, can I solve this problem? Does BootX need MacOS? I heard
> that some boot loaders need MacOS.

Yes, and yes. It's a MacOS app that launches Linux. With BootX, you
start up in MacOS, then once it's set up you can launch into Linux at
the first opportunity. So startups take a little longer, and you have
to keep at least a minimal MacOS on your drive.

The nvsetenv didn't help? Maybe try this one in addition:

nvsetenv boot-file Linux

This tells quik to load the 'Linux' label from the quik.conf, which
should be your installation.