Re: 700MHz iBook: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500?

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 18:52, William R Sowerbutts wrote:
> I'm looking veeeeeeeery closely at replacing my 600MHz iBook (which is damn
> near perfect) with the new 700MHz iBook -- mainly because I need to buy a
> second laptop for a family member. If I can give them my 600MHz box and get a
> newer and faster one for myself, that seems like a good deal to me ;)
>
> The only concern I have is that the new 700MHz model ships with an ATI
> Mobility Radeon (7500 I believe, the 2X AGP 16Mb integrated VRAM chip anyhoo).
> This is the same video chip as previously shipped in the TiBook, I believe?
>
> Anyway, my questions are:
>
>  - Does anyone know which chip is actually in this box?!

Until you get confirmation that it's an M7 (7500 based, the one in the
current 3rd gen TiBooks), I'd very much assume it's an M6 (Radeon
'classic' based, the one in the 2nd gen TiBooks, no TCL unit etc.).

>  - The radeonfb driver appears to support the Mobility 7500 -- can anyone
>    verify that this works?

AFAIK it supports both chips, but I think the panel size is still
hack^K^Krdcoded to 1152x768 on powerpc...

>  - Does XFree86 4.1 as currently packaged in Debian Woody support accelerated
>    graphics on this chip yet? Or will I have to homebrew a 4.2 install?

Neither. :) http://www.penguinppc.org/~daenzer/XFree86-4.2/

BTW X will also work without radeonfb.