Re: airport eth1, onboard eth0 & eth1 Tx error, status 1

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 07:49:56PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 06:46:50PM -0500, erik@debill.org wrote:
>
> > The eth1: timeout messages seem to be a bug in the airport driver.
> > Mine spits them out all the time (and others when it resets the card)
> > but still seems to work.  I've been able to eliminate them almost
>
> IME these messages happen when the signal is weaker than the card would
> like - try taking a look at the signal strengths you're seeing.

/sbin/iwconfig shows:
    Link Quality:57/92   Signal level:-39 dBm  Noise level:  -96 dBm

while about 4 feet away.  I still get timeout messages at that range.

from another room I get:
    Link Quality:30/92   Signal level:-66 dBm  Noise leve:   -96 dBm

And I'm pretty sure Rx invalid frag: 1710   is a bad thing.

I've not seen anything that documents what sort of numbers I /should/
be seeing, but I haven't noticed any correllation between how close I
am to the base station and the Timeout messages - until it falls back
to 5.5Mb/s at which point they get worse (this gets the rate lower
than the rate limit I put on the router interface).

Of course, now that I check, my switch has detected the WAP11 as a
10Mbps/Half Duplex connection - which means my rate limit on the
router shouldn't be doing anything.  Curiouser and Curiouser.  I'll
have to do some more experimentation.

In any case, I wish I still had an Airport base station - I used to
have one (perk from previous job) and I never had to power cycle it or
do other weirdness to keep it happy (using a WaveLAN card in a
Thinkpad).

Erik