Re: boot-device variable for powerbook G3

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 12:24:32AM +0200, Koos van den Hout wrote:
> Quoting Chris Tillman who wrote on Sat, May 11, 2002 at 02:51:10PM -0700:
>
> > quik does not do symlinks. Substitute /boot/vmlinux-etc. (the exact
> > name of your kernel)
>
> Fixed that.
>
> > Ah! Maybe it's trying to boot from hda7 then. What's there, can you
> > delete it?
>
> MacOS was there. Now deleted. Reinstalled..
>
> Still, all I get is "can't OPEN". No progress ;)
>
> > No, quik is just pretty flaky. benh has said he would do some owrk on it.
> > If you still have MacOS, you can use BootX, which is what many G3 owners
> > have done. But if you can get quik to work, so much the better...
>
> Well.. I hope to be able to reinstall macos9 soon. If I can cleanly install
> that I'll go that way.
>
> One other thing: I can't find where to give command line options to the
> bootfloppy. If that would work I could at least boot the rescue floppy and
> get that to load the OS right.
>
> (The documentation just assumes everyone knows where to enter this command
> line... then when the rescue flop says "Try passing init= option to the
> kernel" I say "WHERE?")

Well, it won't help at this point, OF is not even loading quik, much
less the kernel. But it is possible, by using ResEdit on the System
file that's in the boot floppy. Let me experiment a little tonight -
no one's ever worked on making a boot floppy for OldWorlds AFAIK
(besides the installer boot floppy, which needs a root floppy).

BootX, OTOH, has made this very easy - it has a GUI on the Mac side
before you launch Linux, you can type in whatever you want.