Re: SMP for 2.4.18 on duel G4 Mac

Hey Ben,

I got it working.  Thanks for your input.  It's really helpful knowing
that your on the right track even if your not quite there yet.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> What does /proc/cpuinfo says ?

Well, now it says:

andrew.dixon@dev1:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
cpu		: 7455, altivec supported
temperature 	: 26-28 C (uncalibrated)
clock		: 999MHz
revision	: 2.1 (pvr 8001 0201)
bogomips	: 996.14

processor	: 1
cpu		: 7455, altivec supported
temperature 	: 43-48 C (uncalibrated)
clock		: 999MHz
revision	: 2.1 (pvr 8001 0201)
bogomips	: 996.14

total bogomips	: 1992.29
machine		: PowerMac3,5
motherboard	: PowerMac3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as	: 69 (PowerMac G4 Silver)
pmac flags	: 00000000
L2 cache	: 256K unified
memory		: 1536MB
pmac-generation	: NewWorld

> Hrm, that's weird. Did you do a clean build ? (That is make mrproper
> before rebuilding the kernel ?). Also make sure you don't have dangling
> "root.root" files around if you build as a user, that may happen if
> you accidentaly build as root. If you have .o's wich can't be overriden
> from your normal user, that may screw up the build process.

Here's the kernel I am using (the latest from rsync).

andrew.dixon@dev1:~$ uname -a
Linux dev1 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 #1 SMP Mon May 6 16:40:29 EDT 2002 ppc
unknown
andrew.dixon@dev1:~$

As it turns out there was a problem with CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION and
CONFIG_SMP.  Linux would compile with CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION defined
without CONFIG_SMP but when I added CONFIG_SMP I got a link error.

I also found that the following modules would not compile with
CONFIG_SMP defined:
	-CONFIG_UFS_FS
	-CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV
	-CONFIG_NET_SCHED