X, german ADB keyboard and ALT-GER

Hello,

I'm sure I 'm boring, but I couldn't help.

The woody installation script is very good now (not regarding the loop). I get a good working but still Wintel-German keyboard layout as standard and it even keeps it :-)

But now I have installed XFree86 4.1.0 and I miss some keys in X. It's the | "pipe sign" (or bar I think), the @ "at" at most and the \ backslash too. But Umlauts are working.

I fear that the X keymapping somehow lost the ALT-GER (right alt key) binding it got in the console (not xterm or terminal window in X). Just do delete it (xmodmap) as binding to mod1 hasn't solved the problem.

As I'm not frankophone a good workaraound would be to xmodmap the @ and | values (which are?) to the key left of backspace.

Thanks for any help!!!

Ralf

BTW:
I have 3 PMac running debian GNU/Linux and the now one with XFree86. 2 boxes have a MP cpu cards and are doing better than unter MacOS (Especially because BenH told the tricks). Thanks to all and Ben!