Re: Arrgh: maybe pmud-utils was a really bad idea.

> After I removed pmud-utils, I noticed that the /usr/sbin/pmud was
> still around (it came in it's own package) so in the interest of
> Science, I tried it.  Yikes - I got a repeat of the problem I was
> having earlier.  So pmud is definitely a bad idea to run on a new G4
> desktop.  (Well, *my* desktop, anyway.  Maybe my hardware is
> particularly delicate, but i have no reason to believe so.)  I
> quickly removed pmud as well.

Now I just need the log output from pmud on your box - it does report the
PMU version there (see /var/log/daemon.log). If yours is a yet unsupported
PMU version we can just tell pmud to fail on startup, instead of
confusing your machine.

Please note that pmud wasn't meant to work on anything but Powerbook
models anyway. I'll add a warning to that effect in the description, and
try to check /proc/cpuinfo during postinstall.

	Michael