changing extensions, a little OT perhaps.

Hi All,

I recently transferred some MP3s from my MacOS desktop to my Debianppc
laptop.  There are no file extensions for these mp3 files, so they're
kind worthless for xmms in Linux.

On the Linux side, how would I go about adding extensions to these files
without doing it manually?  In other words, is there something I could
pass at the command line to accomplish this for a whole directory of
files?  I've been using Linux for three years or so now, and I've always
wanted to know how to do this...anyone care to educate me?  I'm hoping
for something a little more substantive than "go learn sed (or whatever
program)," though learning by example usually works the best for me. ; )

many thanks!

bob