Re: changing extensions, a little OT perhaps.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 01:32:33PM -0400, Bob Torres wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently transferred some MP3s from my MacOS desktop to my Debianppc
> laptop.  There are no file extensions for these mp3 files, so they're
> kind worthless for xmms in Linux.
>
> On the Linux side, how would I go about adding extensions to these files
> without doing it manually?  In other words, is there something I could
> pass at the command line to accomplish this for a whole directory of
> files?  I've been using Linux for three years or so now, and I've always
> wanted to know how to do this...anyone care to educate me?  I'm hoping
> for something a little more substantive than "go learn sed (or whatever
> program)," though learning by example usually works the best for me. ; )

I tend to do this as a shell command, and that'd depend on your shell.

For csh variants:

foreach file (*)
mv $file $file.mp3
end

For sh variants (bash, ksh, ...):

for file in * ; do mv $file $file.mp3 ; done

You'll want to read your shell manpages if you want to do stuff like removing
old extensions, etc.

Jon Leonard