Re: changing extensions, a little OT perhaps.

Bob Torres (bob@rjtorres.net) said:
> On the Linux side, how would I go about adding extensions to these files
> without doing it manually?  In other words, is there something I could
> pass at the command line to accomplish this for a whole directory of
> files?  I've been using Linux for three years or so now, and I've always
> wanted to know how to do this...anyone care to educate me?  I'm hoping
> for something a little more substantive than "go learn sed (or whatever
> program)," though learning by example usually works the best for me. ; )

(assuming you are using bash as your shell, which should be the default)

cd to your directory with mp3s and run:

for x in * ; do mv $x $x.mp3 ; done

For more info on basic bash scripting, check out
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey