gcc 3.1 + graph coloring based reg alloc

Hello list,

Looking at the projects on gcc.gnu.org, one sees work
being done on a new graph coloring based register
allocator for gcc 3.1. I hear that it might even make
its way into 3.1..

The gcc open projects page only says:

  New register allocator

   Daniel Berlin and Michael Matz are working on an implementation of a graph-coloring register allocator. A branch is
   created in CVS with the tag new-regalloc-branch. It is known to bootstrap under x86-linux and ppc-linux.

This could obviously result in great improvements for ppc. Has
anyone tried it, has any performance data etc ?
I want to ask the list before trying it out myself, if
I do get around to actually doing it ;-)

viral

--
http://www.mayin.org/~gandalf

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.