Re: Audio Problems on an iBook

On 26 Apr 2002, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

> I don't really think too loud but that the volume changes rather quickly
> near the maximum.

I've gotten feedback in the past about the default mixer settings being
unusually loud, which I also realised once I started working in a cubicle
:-)  As for what you're referring to, believe it or not, the tumbler is
actually outputting consistent volume increases, even at the top end, but
it appears that the speakers are too poor to handle levels of >80% or
so.  I thought about chopping the range off, but didn't want to limit the
volume level for those using quality headphones (I have a pair that does
handle those levels fairly well, given the limitations of the tumbler) or
those using the headphone jack as a "line out" to other audio equipment.

To solve this, I'm hoping to finish the DRC and biquad filtering
implementations that I started.  I just haven't been able to figure out
which canned filter settings are the best for this hardware yet (I'm NOT
fond of the ones that Apple uses in the Darwin code) and also don't know
how I want to implement turning those features off, if desired (I'm
thinking /proc, but haven't written the code yet).