Re: SMP Kernel

benh@kernel.crashing.org schrieb am ÒRe: SMP KernelÓ.
[2002-04-18 12:17]

> >Is this true? Does kernel 2.4.18 only work with multisync monitors?
>
> Did you try giving an explicit vmode argument to the kernel ? It's
> possible that the kernel fails to probe the monitor type.

I bought a multisync monitor :-(  BTW I bought a cheap Miro branded Monitor
that doesn't show anything on two diffrent Mac2VGA adapters. A NoName
Monitor only works with a hard coded Mac (like 1024*768) setup but not with
a multiple setup (like 640*480 or 832*624 or ...)  :-(

> >Ethernet:
> >With dmesg I found that kernel 2.4.18 find the Asante ethernet card (DEC
> >chip) at first (eth0) and the Mac MACE ethernet mainboard interface as
> > the second one (eth1). But when I installed woody the kernel 2.2.20 set
> > up the Apple MACE as eth0 and the Asante Dec chip as eth1. Vice Versa!
>
> Well, device initialisation order is... random. Sorry, there isn't
> much to do about this, except maybe having both as modules and only

I just think about having set up a DSL router to a local 100MBit Lan with
kernel 2.2. After the switch to kernel 2.4 your 100MBit card tries to
connect to the DSL ISP and the onboard 10MBit card tries to set up a dsl
connection with your router. Great!

> That should work, you should try harder I beleive to find what's going on.
> I noticed that sometimes, the MACE is fucked up after boot and won't
> receive/send anything useful. I seems that can also be triggered by some
> DHCP clients, though I haven't yet found what's wrong.

Perhaps a little more light to this point. The Asante (DEC/Tulip chipset)
ethernet card, which is now set to eth0 and is corresponding to the one and
only configuration in /etc/network/interfaces doesn't work after reboot (no
ping). dmesg prints that the NIC is set up to 10baseT??? After disconecting
the patch cable and replug, everthing works fine. But that's not funny,
replugin every debian/GNU Linux Box after reboot?!?!

> >SMP:
> How do you boot ? quik (OF) or BootX ? If you boot with BootX and your
> MacOS is more recent than 8.1, you will have problems getting the second
> CPU to start as it will have been hijacked by MacOS.

ATTENTION - IMPORTANT
This three lines of hardcore information is missing with every pmac smp
kernel. It look like it's true. Because of problems with quik I set up
debian/GNU Linux from the start. And after I rebooted with the kernel-image-
2.4.18-powerpc-smp and with quik I got 2 Tux (2 cpus in /proc/cpuinfo)!!!

If I had this 3 lines of information 3 month ago it would have saved me at
least 2 weeks of trying. PLEASE get this 3 lines into the dselect info with
every pmac smp kernel image!!! If you haved guessed right now, some Mac
Users who like to try Linux might be suspicious and like to boot from MacOS
(BootX) into Linux. And will be frustrated if the MP doesn't work ;-)

QUIK:
As I said I got a working MP setup and lost it when I tried to compile a
custom kernel. Somehow I must have lost the quik bootloader. I tried at
least 4 times to set it back again without success. Neither quik nor
quikconfig worked. Every reboot brought up MacOS from /dev/sdb instead of
debian/GNU Linux from /dev/sda. But the base-config quik bootloader does
work.

Where's the diffrence?

Thank's for your great help!
Ralf