Re: Macintosh Microphone Jack - how do I make a recording?

On  19 Apr, this message from Elizabeth Barham echoed through cyberspace:
> I have not yet used my StarMax's (Mac Clone/Tanzania) microphone-in
> jack but I would like to move recordings onto the computer.

Weren't the clones all based on the first-gen PCi PowerMacs? Those
should have Cinch/RCA audio in, no?

Anyway, as has been said, the Mac's mic jack (3.5 mm jack) is the same
as a line in with a different connector. I.e. you can plug in the tape
with only a 'connector' adapter (i.e. no electronics required). Any
decent electronics/hifi/computer shop should have a RCA-to-jack adapter
(supposing the tape has RCA out).

> Does
> anyone know what the device name is for sound-in and/or have
> suggestions as to what program I should use to do this (they're
> recordings of voices, btw).

Hm, can anyone confirm that we have sound-IN drivers at all? Last I
remember was that dmasound didn't do sound in. Don't know about alsa...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |