Re: Installing onto a powerbook for the first time

Chris Tillman wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 09:53:15PM +0100, Hani Jabr wrote:
> > Dudes,
> >
> > I started installing Debian onto a powerbook (or any PowerPC hardware
> > for that matter) for the first time.  When I originally set the system
> > up I predicted that Linux may be on the cards at a later stage and I
> > split the hard disk into 2, and left roughly half the disk unused.  I
> > started the install and immediately ran into the problem of trying to
> > get it to boot given I was trying to preserve the Mac OS 9 and X
> > partitions.  So now I'm stuck.  Is there any way out without trashing
> > the existing partition or throwing hardware at it?
>
> You haven't given us enough details to be able to help. The system
> is designed to accommodate your situation, so just saying you're stuck
> gives us nothing to go on. Have you read the manual in my .sig? What
> version are you installing? Yada, yada.
>
> --
> *------v--------- Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 --------v------*
> |      <http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/installmanual>      |
> |   debian-imac (potato): <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>   |
> |            Chris Tillman        tillman@voicetrak.com          |
> |                   May the Source be with you                   |

I'm sorry.  The distribution I am installing is the latest (potato?), and the
problem I am having with getting it to boot is that I didn't create an 800K
'Apple_Bootstrap' partition.  The documentation I read says to create it before
the first Mac OS partition.  This is for Yaboot.  Is there an alternative that
the documentation does not describe?  Is there another way?

Hani