Re: Installing onto a powerbook for the first time

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 08:31:33AM +0100, Hani Jabr wrote:
> I'm sorry.  The distribution I am installing is the latest (potato?), and the
> problem I am having with getting it to boot is that I didn't create an 800K
> 'Apple_Bootstrap' partition.  The documentation I read says to create it before
> the first Mac OS partition.  This is for Yaboot.  Is there an alternative that
> the documentation does not describe?  Is there another way?

Use the 'r' command in mac-fdisk to reorder the logical partition
ordering (the partition will be _physically_ after the MacOS partition,
but its entry will be before that of the MacOS partition). It doesn't
even strictly have to be before the MacOS partition, but that's for
convenience (if the XPRAM gets trashed, the yaboot partition will get
picked up first when the OpenFirmware does a bootable partition scan).

--
Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN