Re: Help - problem after installing a new kernel

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 06:55:03PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 04:09, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
> > In fact, the problem was the fact that the kernel name doesn't match
> > its version number (vmlinux-2.2.20-newpmac, though its version, given
> > by uname -r, is 2.4.16-newpmac).
>
> Can you give more details on exactly how you arrived at this situation?
> Did you install using the regular "powermac" (i.e. not "new-powermac")
> installer, and then apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.16-newpmac?  Or did
> you install using "new-powermac" directly, but your yaboot.conf still
> pointed to the regular powermac 2.2.20 kernel?

I verified that a new install with the 3.0.21 files creates files named
*2.2.20* in /boot, and also that

grep 2.2.0 images-2.88/rescue.bin

from the 3.0.21 archive gives a positive response.

I believe this was caused by a 1440 instead of 2880 in
b-f/make/powerpc.rules.  I checked in a change, and am building to see
if it works.