PowerTower Pro 225

Hi all,

I hope some one can help me. I have a powertower pro 225. I know the system has broken OpenFirmware 1.0.5. I installed Woddy and all is well with the standard 2.2.19-powerpc deb, but I wanted to try the new kernel. I downloaded the sources for 2.4.17, configured and compiled. No joy. The machine would not boot the new kernel. I use quik and manually edit the quik.conf file to point to the proper kernel.

When I 'apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.16-powerpc' from Debian, I can get the system to boot, but I have no console video, no X etc.. I have to ssh to the box. When I look at dmesg, I don't see anything strange.

My question is where can I get the .config that the kernel maintainer uses? I would think that would give me a good baseline to start from.

I download my kernel sources from ftp.kernel.org, are Debian's sources any different if I apt-get the kernel source?

Thanks,
Ed