Re: Memory tester for powerpc?

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 04:39:34PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:00:07PM -0800, ozymandias G desiderata wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 03:46:04AM -0500, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> > BTW, do any of you have a .config for a Cube that's been
> > stripped down to the minimum necessary to actually support all of the
> > Cube's built-in hardware (along with USB and Firewire support) that's
> > tailored for benh kernels? I've been trying to do it myself, but I
> > apparently keep exercising some weirdness, because I get huge numbers
> > of "IN from blah at blah" errors in the kernel message buffer.
>
> I believe quite a few of those are probes for i386 hw or such, I think
> they're 'normal' for powerpc.

I got a *ton* of messages during a few of my recent builds of
2.4.18-pre6-ben0, and none at all with the kernel from
kernel-image-2.4.16-newpmac. This leads me to believe that the
configuration may have something to do with it. Here's the kind of
messages I'm talking about:

aglaia kernel: IN from bad port cfc at c00d5280
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c000 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c100 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c200 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c300 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c400 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c500 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c600 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c700 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c800 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port c900 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port ca00 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port cb00 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port cc00 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port cd00 at c00d5394
aglaia kernel: IN from bad port ce00 at c00d5394

As far as I can tell, this is a PowerPC-specific message, and may even
be a BenH-specific message (grepping for "IN from bad port" over the
.c and .h files in the source wasn't particularly enlightening, as it
didn't return anything).

Generally speaking, which kernel branch should I be using, anyway? I
want these features:

  o Full USB support, including the USB speakers that come with the
    Cube
  o Enough IEEE 1394 support to play around with my Ecrix VXA-1 tape
    drive, because it'd be nice to use the Cube as a backup server
  o The support necessary to use the Griffin Technologies serial port
    replacement for the Cube's built-in modem
  o Support for the 1.5GB of RAM I have in there
  o Support for XFS

For the USB and IEEE 1394 support I need to be running 2.4.x, right?
Should I just patch the kernel-image-2.4.17 source with XFS and then
rebuild? I'm not clear on how much of Ben's changes have been
submitted to the BitKeeper tree, and the online resources I've been
able to find have not been overly helpful.

Forrest

--
       . . . the self-reflecting image of a narcotized mind . . .
ozymandias G desiderata     ogd@aoaioxxysz.net     desperate, deathless