Help! Can't BOOT upon kernel upgrade!

Hello,

I just installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (testing pre-release) for PPC
on a G3 400MHz 2000 (NewWorld) Apple "Pismo" Powerbook.  Everything
was fine upon install, I rebooted successfully several times.  Then
I wanted to upgrade from the provided 2.2.19-pmac kernel to a 2.4.16
kernel, so I recompiled, and rebooted.  This time around, i can't
boot.  This is the error:

Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.6
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
boot: Linux
Please wait, loading kernel...
   Elf32 kernel loaded...
opening display /pci@f0000000/ATY,RageM3pParent@10/ATY,RageM3pA... ok
copying OF device tree...done
Calling quiesce ...
returning 01400000  from prom_init
_

Then after 20 or so seconds, it reboots and gives me the same message.
I'm able to access the MacOS 9 partition (if I hold the alt/option key
on reboot), but I'm not interested in that side...

Any ideas as to what's going on?  Or how I can resolve this?
I tried the idea of an earlier post of entering:   hd:11,/vmlinux
but I get the same error.

Please help!!!!

To see what kernel options I used for the recompilation, and the general
methodology, please refer to the following document:
http://www.dialectique.org/linux-dev/debian-kernel-compilation.html

thanks in advance,
-r.