Re: Help! Can't BOOT upon kernel upgrade!

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 10:44:56PM +0100, linux-dev wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (testing pre-release) for PPC
> on a G3 400MHz 2000 (NewWorld) Apple "Pismo" Powerbook.  Everything
> was fine upon install, I rebooted successfully several times.  Then
> I wanted to upgrade from the provided 2.2.19-pmac kernel to a 2.4.16
> kernel, so I recompiled, and rebooted.  This time around, i can't
> boot.  This is the error:
>
> Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.6
> Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
> boot: Linux
> Please wait, loading kernel...
>    Elf32 kernel loaded...
> opening display /pci@f0000000/ATY,RageM3pParent@10/ATY,RageM3pA... ok
> copying OF device tree...done
> Calling quiesce ...
> returning 01400000  from prom_init
> _
>

> Then after 20 or so seconds, it reboots and gives me the same message.
> I'm able to access the MacOS 9 partition (if I hold the alt/option key
> on reboot), but I'm not interested in that side...
>
> Any ideas as to what's going on?  Or how I can resolve this?
> I tried the idea of an earlier post of entering:   hd:11,/vmlinux
> but I get the same error.
>
> Please help!!!!

I'd boot in with the installer to see what's going on. It's possible
you didn't run ybin after changing your yaboot.conf for the new
kernel, or maybe the vmlinux symlink didn't get updated to point to
it. If you remember the exact name/path, you could try

boot: hd:11,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.16-powerpc

or whatever the real name is.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |