boot problems after install on Pismo

I've gone through the install procedure of potato on a pismo (a new
world powerbook).

However the next to last step "make linux directly bootable from hard
disk" runs quik rather than yaboot/ybin. I've tried going to console 2
at the end of the install process and running ybin, but it can't write
to the bootstrap partition, reporting that the volume is read only.

I've tried BootX but it doesn't work (and shouldn't - this is a new
world).

Is there a way of booting linux from the open firmware command line so
that I can then run ybin after configuring it?

I have tried the following from of:
    boot hd:11, /vmlinux root=/dev/hda11
but that is a yaboot parameter, which I don't have installed yet!

My partitions:
    1-8     Apple Driver stuff
    9       Bootstrap (800K)
    10      swap      (200M)