Re: macserial problem on headless servers with kernel 2.4.17

>(I have a Griffin CubePort instead of the internal modem on ttyS0.)
>When I traced through macserial.c, I found the problem: it was calling
>set_scc_power to disable the port.  But that logic is broken when
>you're running headless; IMO it should be disabled by
>CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE.
>
>As a workaround, I enabled CONFIG_XMON, which also bypasses this
>"feature" in macserial.c.
>
>Also, I noticed that the "is_cons" field in the mac_serial struct is
>checked, but there is no logic for setting it to 1 anywhere.

Thanks for the report. I changed the codein my to power the port down
at boot, and back up when opened by macserial, but that may not quite
work on serial console, I have to check that. One possibility here
would be, when the port is used as a serial console, to use the same
call XMON uses to lock the port opened.

Ben.