3 newbie questions (colour depth, wvdial & overall sluggishness)

This might be the wrong place to post such evidently juvenile questions but I haven't found any other suitable list. If anyone has another suggestion please tell me.

I've installed Debian/Potato on an old Mac 7300/180 and:

1) I am having trouble setting the colour depth at 15 . Acording to the Debian_Guide (in usr/doc) and according to numerous posts on several usenet sites I should be able to do this using either XF86Setup, xf86setup, xf86config. I cannot find these on my system. I've tried to edit XF86Config but when i change the DefaultDepth to 15, Xserver crashes.What am i doing wrong ?

2) I'm also having trouble configuring wvdial, I removed the #s and inserted my user name, the ISP phone no and password.When I run wvdial the modem gets initialized and I immediately get :"Configuration does not specify a valid password". i seem to remember seing somewhere one had to add something before the password but i've lost the reference. Any suggestions ?

3) Even running a "small" window manager like ice or blackbox, applications take forever to launch (mozilla & mahjongg for ex.)When i tried SuSE with either kernel 2.2.18 or 2.4 everything seemed a lot faster even with KDE running.Obviously my setup must be wrong.I'd appreciate getting feedback from someone with a similar installation.