Re: 3 newbie questions (colour depth, wvdial & overall sluggishness)

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Jean-Michel Deleu wrote:

>   1) I am having trouble setting the colour depth at 15 . Acording to
> the Debian_Guide (in usr/doc) and according to numerous posts on several
> usenet sites I should be able to do this using either XF86Setup,
> xf86setup, xf86config. I cannot find these on my system. I've tried to
> edit XF86Config but when i change the DefaultDepth to 15, Xserver
> crashes.What am i doing wrong ?

What driver are you using in the XFree86 config? Are you using XFree 4.x
or 3.x? If you're using the 'fbdev' driver with XFree 4.x, or the
XF68_FBDev driver, then you may have to start the system with the
appropriate options passed to the kernel so the frame buffer starts in
15bpp.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN