Re: Command key not working in X

On Son, 2002-01-20 at 03:54, The Doctor What wrote:
> * Michel Dänzer (daenzer@debian.org) [020119 20:26]:
> > On Sat, 2002-01-19 at 07:42, The Doctor What wrote:
> >
> > > I would like my Command key to act as a modifier (Meta_L would be okay),
> > > but it is refusing to co-operate.
> >
> > Are you sure that's not a KDE limitation? E.g. does emacs recognize it
> > as Meta?
>
> It does!  What does this mean?

KDE is broken. :) I mean, it apparently doesn't support Meta for
shortcuts.

> > Command is Meta here by default; I suspect Xkb is in fact disabled for
> > you because there is no macintosh symbols file for dvorak (yet? :).
>
> I don't know what I would be using, if not xkb.

If Xkb is disabled for any reason (like an unsupported configuration, as
I suspect in your case), the X server just uses the kernel's keymap, the
one from console. Some things don't work like with Xkb then though.

Anyway, maybe Xkb works for you, and I'm just on crack. ;) Look for Xkb

> I don't know what a symbol file is.  What can I do to create a macintosh
> dvorak symbol file so that this works?

Look at the macintosh symbol files in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh and
the existing dvorak symbol files.